Help Bring the Eskay Creek Legacy to Life!
Skeena Resources invites Tahltan artists to submit their application for the design and execution of a signature art piece for the Eskay Revitalization Project. The piece will be displayed at the Skeena Resources Head Office in Downtown Vancouver. The artwork should create excitement and interest in the community, reflect Tahltan territory, culture, and pride, enhance the space where the main piece will be located, and reflect the positive legacy of Eskay Creek. The artist’s willingness to learn about the project and dialogue with the committee is important. The final artwork must be a piece that can be reproduced as a limited edition print. This project is open to all Tahltan artists, age 18 and over working in any medium, style or technique. Artist collectives or teams are eligible to apply.
There is a two-stage selection process; the first stage invites artists to submit a minimum of three and a maximum of 10 digital images of their recent and past art pieces. Design concepts for the commissioned piece are not required at this stage. Three artists will be chosen for the 2nd stage, interviewed, and required to submit a design concept based on the parameters outlined in the interview.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form provided below and submit to email@example.com by August 21, 2022 4pm
- A minimum of two references who have knowledge of your work and methods
- Send 3-10 images of your work reflecting relevance, innovation, originality and technique with your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
August 3, 2022 - Call for Artists issued
August 21, 2022 at 4pm - Deadline for Stage One application and digital portfolio images
August 22, 2022 A total of three artists will be selected and invited to stage two
August 23, 2022 Stage two interviews
August 30, 2022 Stage two submission of design concepts
September 1, 2022 Final selection of artist, artist collective or team
October 10, 2022 Signature piece must be completed and received by Head office
October 18, 2022 Unveiling event
All applications submitted for this project will be reviewed by a committee. A maximum of three artists will be short-listed and invited to develop a detailed concept design and/or rendering for the Eskay Creek Signature Piece. They will also be required to submit a detailed budget, a materials list, the size of the piece, relative to it’s future site (Information on the site will be provided) , and a brief explanation of how the piece will create excitement and interest in the community, enhance the space, and reflect the positive legacy of Eskay Creek. The three short-listed artists will be compensated for their participation in the 2nd stage of the selection process. The three applicants will be assessed on their:
- Vision, approach and insight into the project (written statement)
- Experience and ability to complete the project (application & references)
- Artistic merit, originality and cultural authenticity of proposal/renderings/design concept relevance to the community and ability of the artwork to engage the public
- Consideration of practical issues such as maintenance, risk management, robustness and durability (intended lifespan is up to 10 years)
- Responsiveness to stakeholder consultation and feedback.